One of the UK’s leading networks of golf venues, Macdonald Hotels & Resorts, has further reinforced its status as Golf World magazine publishes its first ranking of the Top 100 Golf Resorts in the Uk & Ireland …
The UK’s largest independent hotel group saw all five of its golf resorts feature within the new list, which was compiled by an international panel of experts who considered the quality of a venue’s golf course(s), accommodation, amenities and setting to establish the standings.
European Challenge Tour venue, Macdonald Aviemore Resort, located in the Highlands of Scotland, which underwent a £1 million investment programme to develop its new clubhouse in 2013, was the highest ranked Macdonald venue, finishing 23rd in the inaugural classification.
Macdonald Hotels & Resorts – The accolades…
– Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa, Cheshire, was ranked 53rd
– Macdonald Cardrona Hotel, Golf & Spa, Peebles, was 64th
– Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, Shropshire, was 73rd
– Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club, Northumberland finished 86th
Macdonald Hotels & Resorts – What they said…
Keith Pickard, Group Director of Golf, Leisure & Spa at Macdonald Hotels & Resorts, said: “Our prominence in this influential Golf World listing is the ideal endorsement of the significant investment we have completed over the last four years to further enhance the quality of our golf resorts and ensure we are able to meet the exacting demands of today’s modern golfer.”
The success in the Top 100 ranking follows an investment programme, which included a course renovation project across the five venues and the refurbishment of the hotels as part of a wider £10 million project in 2015, designed to further enhance playing conditions and customer experience.
Commenting on the 2018 rankings, Golf World’s Top 100 Editor, Chris Bertram, said:“The UK undoubtedly has some of the best golf resorts in the world and this inaugural list, which was compiled by a panel of Golf World readers, aims to provide a definitive classification. The five Macdonald Hotels & Resorts golf venues all offer golfers the opportunity to play consistently good and varied courses, as well as provide a number of accommodation options designed to ensure a first-class golf break.”
Macdonald Hotels & Resorts – More information…
– Established in 1990 by Donald Macdonald and colleagues, over the past 25 years Macdonald Hotels & Resorts has successfully expanded from its beginnings in Aberdeenshire to become the UK’s largest privately owned hotel group.
– Operating 55 hotels throughout the UK, Ireland, Portugal and Spain, the group continues to invest and now employs over 4,000 staff and operates in excess of 4,500 hotel rooms.
– Macdonald Hotels & Resorts is proud of its promise to serve only the finest and freshest produce, with flavoursome dishes always prepared from whole raw ingredients.
– A forward-thinking, environmentally responsible hotel group, through its ‘Room 20’ programme led by internal ‘green teams’, Macdonald Hotels & Resorts continues to focus on achieving ambitious, self-imposed energy saving targets.
– This unwavering commitment to achieving the highest quality standards in every aspect of the business has seen Macdonald Hotels & Resorts receive numerous prestigious accolades.
– This has included named 2012-2013 AA Eco-Hotel Group of the Year, receiving the MIDAS award for the Best Breakfast 2011/12, a 2012 Good Egg Award by Compassion for World Farming, the National Customer Service Awards for Leisure and Tourism and the coveted 2013 Carbon Trust Standard.
By Ian Mullins